Without question, hands down, no question – when it comes to comfort at home, there’s one room that comes to mind before any others: the bedroom. And the centerpiece of that room, the one piece of furniture that screams comfort more than anything else we own is, of course, the bed. But bed’s aren’t born comfy. We have to help them become that way with the right mattress, the right pillows and most importantly, the right duvet cover.
A bed dressed in a fluffy duvet and silky duvet cover almost guarantees a good night’s sleep. But to get the most from your duvets you’ve got to take care of them. Read about how to care for duvets and duvet covers to help them last.
Care for a Duvet
- Shake and fluff a duvet every morning after use. This will help to keep the feathers or other fill evenly distributed.
- If you keep a duvet cover on the duvet, you’ll rarely need clean it.
- It’s usually recommended that when necessary, you wash your duvet in a large, commercial washing machine. Chemicals in dry cleaning can break down the fibers of the fill.
- Dry a duvet on gentle heat in the dryer. When it’s partially dry, take it out, give it a good shake to break up damp clusters of filling, and finish the drying.
- Hang a duvet out to air dry for at least 24 hours to make certain all sections are dry before replacing on the bed.
- If you keep the duvet inside a duvet cover, it will stay clean and fresh for months.
Care for a Duvet Cover
- Wash or clean the duvet cover according to manufacturer’s instructions. Press and replace over the duvet.